How to Help People.....
When I was about 8 years old I returned from a long stay in hospital. I was not as hungry as I had been as was quite tired for a few days following the drive home. Because of being so tired I did not eat my full supper for which my mom tried to shame me into eating everything by saying:
'There are starving children in Ethiopia....so eat everything up'
My response:
'Oh my, we should box everything up and SEND it to them!'
Well, apparently it was a ploy by mom to get us to eat up.
So here we are.....more than 45 years later and people in Africa are still starving and we are all still sending Aid.
Finally there has been a study done to see whether the Aid has really been of help...:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7740652.stm
Notice that in this article it makes the point that a person who stood on their own made something of their life on their own whereas someone who chose to take AID all their life never is able to get out of the cycle.
Africa (as the article states and now I feel more comfortable saying in public) has no excuse as to why it is not more self-sustaining. It is:
arable
very hospitably weather
has great reserves still of primary resources
large populations that COULD be educated
Unlike my country of birth that has:
6 months of below zero weather
which pretty much brings a lot of business and farming to a standstill for months at a time.
So therefore I am not a fan of continuing to give AID to countries where despots steal most of it and it encourages people not to fend for themselves and develop their own country and their own potential.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home